Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Harry Potter inspired by Troll?



I'm watching tv with my nephew today because he's home sick and he puts on the terrible movie - TROLL. I'm not really paying attention but then I hear - "I'm Harry Potter." 

WHAT! Yes, Harry Potter. What year was this movie - 1986. My first thought - is this where JK Rowling got the name, no it has to be a coincidence. Harry was published in 1997. Maybe they both took the name from somewhere else but I don't know. Do you?

Also of interest was the cast:
  •      Sony Bono of Cher
  •      Shelly Hack of Charlie perfume & Tiffiny in Charlie's Angles
  •      Julia Louis-Dreyfus of Seinfeld of course
  •      Gary Sandy of WKRP in Cincinnati still with his great hair
  •      Michael Moriarty of may things and Law and Order
  •      June Lochart of Lost in Space and Lassie
  •      Anne Lochart, June's daughter & someone on Battlestar Galactica with (see next line)
  •      Noah Hathaway who was Boxey on Battlestar Galactica and was Atreyu in THE NEVER ENDING STORY. According to IMBD Noah is in production for a new Troll movie.
The theme song for The Never Ending Story is one of my all-time favorites. It was sung and I think written by Limahl, former lead singer for one-hit-wonder Kajagoogoo, Too Shy, hush hush.


3 comments:

  1. As much ad I enjoy the neverending story, I can't think of it now without seeing peter griffin riding Falcor into the ground on Family Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually forgot about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to JA over at My New Plaid Pants for the very thorough answer:

    JA said...
    Sean, I had read before about that, but couldn't remember what the deal was, so here's what Troll's Wiki says:

    "This is a quote from an interview with producer Charles Band:

    Interviewer: "It's bizarre, isn't it? You have a young boy named Harry Potter who discovers that he has magical powers and uses them to fight a troll."

    Charles Band: "I've heard that JK Rowling has acknowledged that maybe she saw this low-budget movie and perhaps it inspired her. Who knows what the story is? Life's too short for a fight as far as I'm concerned but, having said that, there are certain scenes in that movie, not to mention the name of the main character, and this of course predates the Harry Potter books by many, many years. So there's that strange connection."[1]

    On April 14, 2008 John Buechler's partner in the Troll remake, Peter Davy, said about Harry Potter, “In John's opinion, he created the first Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling says the idea just came to her. John doesn't think so. There are a lot of similarities between the theme of her books and the original Troll. John was shocked when she came out with Harry Potter."

    I've never actually seen Troll. Any good?

    6:39 PM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CROSSPOST