Friday, November 13, 2009

5 For and 5 Against: 2012

Overall, 2012 is much better then the trailer leads you (and my 12 year old nephew) to believe. The cast is likable with lots of cameos. Like he did in Zombieland, Woody Harrelson steals all his scenes. The car and plane scenes are fantastical but just within the realm of possibility and keep you on the edge of your seat plus the scenes are filmed so that you can see the details and really grasp what is being destroyed and the number of people being killed.

About halfway through the movie, little things started taking me out of the experience. I could believe the escape scenes but not a 20 year old DIAL tv with rabbit ears in the kitchen of the worlds newest and biggest cruise ship or that the same kitchen has a balcony! I have to admit, when the ending came, I was cheering for the end of mankind. I wanted to see all those arks go down and stay down.

5 FOR:
  1. Woody Harrelson as Charlie.
  2. Quick pace and lots of humor mixed in.
  3. Fairly strong plot with strong build up to the action.
  4. Hot Chinese brothers, very hot long lost son in Japan and hot Russian pilot (Will from Eastwick.)  
  5. Several cover your eyes and/or jump in your seat scenes.
5 AGAINST:
  1. Danny Glover as President and Danny Glover with dust on his face.
  2. Black-smoke blowing smoke stacks on the arks - shouldn't they be nuclear powered?
  3. The last minute moral questioning of good guy scientist Adrian.
  4. Hydraulics for those huge doors would not get jammed by a tool.
  5. Russian pilot sounded, acted and was written exactly like the Russian in Armageddon.
Here's Adam Lambert singing Time For Miracles from 2012.

12 comments:

  1. lol, ok the dust on Danny glovers face bugged me too.....all in all I liked it,as you know from my blog...I noticed all the stuff(your5) against, but I was so caught up in the emotion of it all I let that stuff go...but lets face it, alot of end of the world movies have been made, you can only end it so many ways, so many times...but as you said the special effects are awesome, and as we both agreed Woody stole the show...love him;)

    peace friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to go see it at the Cinerama Dome on Sunset in Holllywood. Its the best place for big scale movies. Living in Los Angeles makes it even more of a thrill to see us destroyed again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might go see this one tonight. The idea makes me cringe, I taught this to my students in the Spring. But I wanna be able to reference it next spring since I know the new batch will most likely have seen it. Wanna know how much of the current plate tectonic polar shift theories they are using in the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, but I just don't think I can subject myself to this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any movie that asks me to root for Amanda Peet to survive and become the last hope for the human race is really pushing it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm w/CB on this one. When it hits HBO, I'm sure I'll see it (all out of sequence, but all of it - eventually).

    I guess my question is: w/that much destruction, why would you want to survive anyway? The disease that is surely to come after the fact will be way worse than the deaths that came before.

    Yes - I cannot suspend my disbelief either. Not for $10-11 a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked it actually. Sure they wouldn't have survived the limo escape, let alone anything else, but it was a fun ride for sure.

    I couldn't help but always picture Adrian singing in drag :)

    Oh and if you don't know any of the doomsday theories for 2012, well this movie gets everything right except for one thing, Einstein agreed then later discovered the theory of relativity and disagreed lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a mixed bag, but that is about what I thought it was going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you heard about Collapse?

    http://www.collapsemovie.com/COLLAPSEMOVIE/

    According to World of Wonder, this is the documentary version of 2012. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't heard of it - it looks fascinating. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I will probably check this movie out, even though most of the reviews I've seen are pretty bad. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i wished i had liked it, but didn't. the hokey part where they drove off the back of the plane onto the frozen china tundra (or whatever) was the clincher. and i kept expecting to hear superman/indiana jones style music everytime something "BIG" happened.

    just. could. not. groove.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CROSSPOST