Friday, September 18, 2009
Thursday, September 17, 2009
I've had my Kindle for several months now and I love it.
Years ago, before I ever heard of the Kindle or eReaders I had said to my then BF that there should be a BookMan. I hate it when others profit from my ideas.
The best feature and the reason I wanted the Kindle is it's ability to increase the size of the font. I have a slight eye muscle problem which makes it hard for me to read - especially paperbacks and being able to change font size has really helped me increase my reading.
When I was researching buying the Kindle, I learned that the technology was much more complicated then I imagined - I mean it has to be simpler than a computer right? Wrong. I won't go into details because I can't but I read almost 100 online reviews and got more information than I really needed. At the time, Kindle (exclusive to Amazon) was clearly superior but now the new Sony eReader is vastly improved and good competition to the Kindle.
What I love:
- it's so cool, holding it makes me feel like I'm on Star Trek Voyager
- it's so green and truly the future of books
- 99% of the books are $9.99 or less and they have hundreds for free!
- it is way more comfortable to hold when reading, especially in bed
- books can be ordered and downloaded within a minute from most anywhere (3G spped)
- works with Amazon so books can be ordered online
- you can have a free sample chapter sent to your Kindle for most books
- very easy to read, even at the beach in the bright sun
- can hold hundreds of books in less space then a paperback, great for trips
- you can highlight any word and instantly get the definition
- it doesn't use page numbers, instead it tells you what % you have read
- you can't give someone the book when you're done
- no more books to put on shelves
What I'd change:
- the only thing I might change is I would have made it like the Nintendo DS and have it so that there were two pages (like when you read a book) and it could be opened and closed.