Friday, January 15, 2010

FRIDAY FANTASY: NO RELIGION

I read a meme the other day where one of the questions asked what you would wish for if you found a genie in a bottle. The blogger said war. I thought religion which both surprises and saddens me.

In my head and in my heart I know that for most people (I sometimes wish I was one of those) religion is a source of strength, compassion, comfort, hope, faith, tradition and family. Right now; in this moment in time, for me religion is about war, corruption, pedophilia, the Manhattan Declaration, ignorance, bigotry, prejudice, hate, Pat Robertson, fear, suppression and so much more.

What would the world really be like without Religion? Would it be better or worse? Would our lives be lived with so much fear? Is it Religion that gives us morals?

Many religions condemn homosexuality using a nature vs. nurture argument, I say this, "If a child is raised by non-biological parents, it will still be the color it was born, it will still be the race it was born, it will still possess the same physical abilities and disabilities, it will still be GLBT or straight but it will be practice the religion (or not) of what the non-biological parents choose. You are born LGBT or straight but you are raised in a religion.

As I composed this Friday Fantasy, I remember that John Lennon wrote a song about this same fantasy many years ago and much better then I ever could.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

11 comments:

  1. Sean, I never really got a chance to know you as much as I would have liked, but I was a bit surprised when I read this...not sure why(since I really dont know you all that well) maybe sadenned more than surprised...I believe God is everywhere and loves everyone, I always think it sad when religion comes in and ruins anyones view on that...I always say God is not religion, Religion is man made.....

    Sorry for the ramble....peace;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven - I never said God. I said Religion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reread your post....true enough you said religion, not God...sorry my bad;)

    have a great weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven,

    No offense. I knew as I wrote it that it could produce reactions. Apparently, no comments, except for yours, was the reaction. With everything going on in the world, I just feel sad and disappointed and let down by those who are supposed to preach love, compassion, understanding but only seem to see hate, fear and control.


    On Jan 15, 2010, at 5:40 PM, Steven Litchford wrote:

    Sean,

    I just reread your post, Im sorry I wasnt trying to offend....

    Just started rambling my thoughts,

    Don't mean to bother you, just wanted to say sorry, I think I read wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A long time ago, a teacher told me that "every war is a holy war, and every side believes God is on theirs. I assure you, if He does exist, he's on neither."

    Religion is the by-product of fear of the unknown. Life should be lived as its on reward, not as test for a reward to come after you die.

    Of course (and rather sadly), if it weren't for the Church, we never would have had the Renaissance and we'd all still be scratching our blogs onto stone tablets, and how would we link and embed? Ugh, what a meshuga mess!

    Maybe we'll finally figure how to get along with one another when the planet has to unite as one to defeat the Alien Overlords when they finally reveal themselves. What? You don't believe in aliens? But an invisible something who sends his son/self to earth to die and then fly back to Heaven just so you won't go to burn in an invisible place for all eternity makes sense to you? My money's on "Independence Day" before "Left Behind."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those things/groups/people listed are not religion - that is the irony.

    They are users in the name of religion.

    It is unfortunate that most people are lemmings and see it and use it as religion - and religion has a vehicle for hate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If one believes in god, or goddess, or something, that's good. But when you take that belief and build an entire belief system around it, and then use that belief system to quash non-believers or those you believe to be wrong [sinners?] then you've gone too far.
    God [or whatever it is you beleive] is love.

    Loved the post Sean

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have often said in my blog if you chose to wallow in a mud puddle of ignorance and superstition, that is your right, but don't try to drag me down there with you.
    thanks for supporting my blogs
    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sean, I often think of the world, from the song, and all of the horror that would be erased from ours, if religion did not exist.

    Maybe someday humanity will grow beyond religion and embrace spirituality, but that day won't be here any time soon.

    A lovely, thought provoking post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe I understand how you feel, as I have gone through the same struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live a very spiritual life. I have no use for religion. I understand and agree with you post. Keep sharing the love brother!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CROSSPOST