Monday, May 10, 2010

A BUFFY QUESTION

So I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Logo as I do most nights and a question burns into my mind for not the first time. The episode is "Bargaining," the one where Willow and Tara bring Buffy back from the dead after she defeated Glory. Why isn't a new slayer called? When Buffy died the first time, Kendra was called and then when Kendra died Faith was called. At first I thought it might be because Buffy had died once already but in the final episodes where they are battling The First, they repeatedly say that the potentials won't be called until Buffy dies. So did I miss the explanation? Can you fill me in? Your thoughts?

9 comments:

  1. that haS driven me crazy...from the first time around and all the times in reruns.....if you figure it out let me know;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another new Slayer was NOT called because Faith was still alive. Buffy was/is still a slayer but she died - twice. The first time Kendra was called, even though Buffy was only dead for a minute. Then Kendra was killed and Faith was called up. Faith was then the actual slayer though she was incapacitated by being batshit crazy, so when Buffy was once again killed, it did not matter - the actual slayer, Faith, was still living.

    This quandary sets up for the First's powerplay in the last season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writer beat me to it, but, yes, technically Buffy no longer prompts a new slayer upon her death since she prompted Kendra who then prompted Faith. However, there are comments made at the end of the series by Buffy and some others indicating she believes if she dies another slayer will be called so there seems to be some inconsistency towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I thought French was a difficult language to learn...

    I'd never be able to become fluent in Buffy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buffy -> Kendra - > Faith.

    What the first was doing was attacking the slayer line in reverse. Killing the potentials, Faith and then finally Buffy.

    Faith was actually the carrier of the slayer line. Since Buffy had already died.

    i Heart Buffy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm ashamed...have never seen Buffy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I loved some of those episodes w/Faith.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CROSSPOST