Thursday, May 20, 2010

KINDLE REVIEW: UNDER THE DOME by STEPHEN KING

I have been a Stephen King fan since high school and have read almost all of his novels. The first half of his career was the best. The middle 25-35% was only fair but the last 15% has seen a nice comeback.

Like many of King's books, Under the Dome is big, close to 1100 pages but this one reads very fast and is a page turner in the true sense of the word. The pacing is excellent and for every interesting problem that arrises, something is resolved. The biggest problem I had with this book is having seen The Simpson's Movie and trying to keep it out of my mind.

In addition to the scifi element of the dome, King explores small town politics, small town violence, small town kinship, crystal meth, murder, rape, corruption, religion, teabaggers and very pleasingly (at least for me) the media and military and the effect of the dome on this town and the world.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I'll check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been a fan since high school - "Carrie" came out when I was sophomore - and have read everything he's published. I've had this book since Christmas and have had just no time to read it. I'm taking my birthday week off in July to relax and do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He;s one of my fave authors - I love Salem's lot and It the best. I was scared to sleep alone for weeks after reading It!

    He can write anything - The Green Mile, Dolores Clairborne, Carrie - he is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read damn near everything he's written (except for IT -- I've tried three or four times and can't get past the first 100 pages) and hope this is a return to his former glory. After the TOMMYKNOCKERS, it's pretty much all been downhill.

    Have you read HEART SHAPED BOX or HORNS by his son Joe Hill? Both are very highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a Stephen King book in ages. Next time I'm in the book store I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, used to be a big King fan, of his early stuff. But then he became more about quantity than quality, and I gave up on him.
    I may have to get a copy of this one if you think he's turning around to being better rather than wordy.
    Or better AND wordy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am slowly struggling through The Stand, thankyou and 'Under the Dome' must wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CROSSPOST