Monday, May 9, 2011

RECYCLING POTATO SKINS


I was making mashed potatoes for my family's dinner yesterday and was going to throw out the skins like I always do but then I remembered reading that potatoes have over 1100 mgs of potassium (mostly in the skin) compared to bananas which have about 450 mgs (not including the skin) so I decided to see what would happen if I roasted them. (I'm sure my recipe is only original to me but then again, maybe not.)

A little kosher salt, fresh black pepper, a drizzle or two of a good olive oil and about 25 minutes in a 425 degree oven and YUM! They tasted a bit like potato chips but better and since I'm a terrible potato peeler, some were thicker and others were thin and very crispy. As word  got out, they began getting picked off and I almost didn't have any left to photograph.

I'll be making these every time I make mashed potatoes from now on.

9 comments:

  1. Looks very yumy to me. What tiem is dinner tonight??

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been doing it in my family for ages, but only with new potatoes, the one fresly harvested. With old ones, I would thoroughly wash them before.
    And if you see some green stuf when you peel them, throw those away. The green stuff is called solanine and is toxic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make mashed potatoes out of the whole potato, skins and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob I like that way too sometimes but my family likes them the way they've always had them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how cool and they look yummy will have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is brilliant and new to me. I love mashed potatoes and now I know what to do with the skins...yummers;)

    I posted a recipe today as well, check it out...

    thanx friend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potato skins are classic! I love the flavor and if they're extra crisp they are super with dips like guacamole or this incredible edamame miso dip that I've made a few times. I used to eat these a lot when I lived in Dallas. Thanks for suggesting them. I'm going to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done this before it is awesome. Glad you happened upon it Sean.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CROSSPOST