Tuesday, September 4, 2012

KINDLE BOOKS I'VE READ THIS YEAR

Here's a list of the eBooks I've read so far this year. I intended to post reviews on each of these, but somehow never did. I've given brief descriptions and reviews of each.

CURRENTLY READING
The Talisman - Stephen King, Peter Straub

The story of a boy who must cross the country and travel between worlds
to find the Talisman that will save his mother's life. This is one of my all-time favorite King
books and one of the few to never be made into a movie or mini-series. I first read it over 20 years ago and am enjoying it just as much all over again. My next book is its sequel Black House.

Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King

Four short stories dealing with the evil men are capable of told in brutal, gory, explicit detail. 

The Saw movies could take a few lessons from King. 
11/22/63 - Stephen King

A memorable date for the 
assassination of President Kennedy and the
probable date of my conception. King asks the question, "If you could go
back in time, would you change it?" Not so much a story of time travel and theories
as it is a love story and a lesson in history and the complexities of going back in time.



Back to Work - Bill Clinton


The Hunger Games Series - Suzanne Collins
Click here for my review.

ME - Ricky Martin
Click here for my review.

Sookie Stackhouse Novels - Charlaine Harris
All Together Dead
Club Dead
Dead and Gone
Dead as a Doornail
Dead in the Family
Dead Reckoning
Dead to the World
Dead Until Dark
Deadlocked
Definitely Dead
From Dead To Worse
Living Dead in Dallas

Once you get to the second book, all similarities to the HBO tv series, TRUE BLOOD, end.
At it's core, The Sookie Stackhouse novels are women's trashy romance novels that
also happen to include vampires, shape shifters, witches and demons. Each 
book is its own story but also ends in a cliff hanger that makes you want to 
immediately pick up the nest book. The series does come to a satisfying conclusion
in the 12th book. Much better story writing then the tv show which has me
shaking my head at what those writers are smoking. A quick and easy read 
perfect for vacations, traveling and the beach. 

Kiss of Midnight - Lara Adrian

I don't remember why I purchased this book, probably read about it on a blog, but it
is another women's trashy romance novel series revolving around vampires. It takes 
place in Boston, which is nice, and the twist is that the vampires are actually
beings from another planet that have been stranded on earth for over 2,000 years.
It was a good read but I wasn't in the mood to start another trashy romance series.

MOST TALKATIVE - Andy Cohen

If you have as much of a crush on Andy Cohen as I do, reading his book is a no brainer. I was 
very surprised by how much he talked about his coming out process and how coming out in the
age of AIDS affected him. Funny and revealing, it's best read with a cocktail or two and if
you're not a fan of any of the Real Housewives shows then you can skip a few chapters.

PARANOIA - Joseph Finder

This was a great read and perfect for computer geeks. A look into the world of
corporate espionage and security and the lengths to which men will go for
revenge and greed. A bit of a surprise ending and I was very disappointed to 
learn this was a one only book. I was so wanting to continue the story. It is
slated to be a major movie release in Fall 2013. Finder has authored many books and I
have added a few to my list of books to read.


My Two Moms: Lessons of Love, Strength and 
What Makes a Family - Zach Wahls

You know him as the handsome, eloquent young man who spoke before
the Iowa legislature about marriage equality. His book was not what I expected. Zack 
has written a guide on effective parenting, what it is to be an Eagle Scout, life with 
a family member who has MS and LGBT activism. It is very well written and
an amazing story of how a family can be both ordinary and extraordinary. Well worth your time.

2 comments:

  1. I know you mentioned that you were re-reading the Talisman and forgot some of plot points, but Black House can be read without really reading the first book, as King and Straub made it stand-alone -that's what happens I guess when you wait 17 years between books. Wonder if the upcoming Shining sequel will be structured that way as well.

    Also, Black House has much more to do with the Dark Tower series than The Talisman. When i read BH back in 2001, I remember how disappointed I was on how little it had to do with The Talisman. I'm not dissing it, cause I enjoyed Black House, but it seemed more designed for new King fans (and Straub ones too, as he's another author who has a tendency to link all his novels together)than older ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Talisman" is my second all-time favorite novel, after Peter Straub's "Shadowland."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CROSSPOST