A belated Happy 59th Birtday to Cyndi Lauper! A true talent, performer and ally to youth and the GLBTQ community! Thank you Cyndi.
- I LOVE CYNDI!
- Cyndi is The Grand Marshal and main performa for New York Pride 2012.
- I've seen Cyndi 11 times in concert and have touched her hand 3x when she's walked into the audience. I've also seen Cher, Debbie Harry, Erasure, Beth Ditto w/Gossip, Rosie, Margaret Cho and many others performing with her and vise versa.
- Cyndi originated the saying, "He threw me under the bus."
- Cyndi started the True Colors Tour to benefit Human Rights and the LGBTQ Communities.
- Cyndi founded New York's True Color Residence for homeless GLBTQ youth - a project of West End and partners Grammy-award winning artist Cyndi Lauper and her manager, longtime WIR volunteer Lisa Barbaris, builds upon West End’s history of pioneering new models to serve the most underserved and vulnerable New Yorkers. TCR is New York’s first and only permanent, supportive housing for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth with a history of homelessness. This profoundly underserved population is estimated to make up nearly 40% of homeless youth in New York City.
Opened in September 2011, TCR provides young, formerly homeless LGBT individuals aged 18-24 upon admission, a safe, stable and supportive environment in which they can rebuild their lives. Residents are responsible for paying affordable rent based on their income. TCR houses 30 studio apartments, each equipped with a kitchen and bathroom. Residents also have access to shared indoor and outdoor community space, a computer lounge, a small library, and laundry facilities.
One of my favorite songs - I'll be your river from The Body Acoustic.