Friday, March 22, 2013

UPDATE: MOM

It's Thursday night, Friday morning actually, and this is my first iPad mini post.

I should be packed and ready to drive down to DE in a few hours for the big Spo Weekend Blogger Palozzer but i won't be going. Mom has been in the hospital now for 13 days, 9 in ICU. Today she was able to breath on her own for almost 2 hours. Pretty good for being on a ventilator for so long (a ventilator assists the lungs and is very different from a respirator).

Mom continues to exceed the doctors' expectations and has had no setbacks BUT each day her ability to recover enough to come completely off the ventilator and to leave the hospital becomes less and less. We have had the discussion of what will happen if and when the doctors determin she is unable to breath on her own.

I'm okay. More than most people, I know what it's  like to be so close to dying (twice) and what it takes to recover. I will continue to be a source of strength and comfort for mom and my family and will do everything I can to make sure mom feels safe. We have many friends and family helping her and us.

Thanks for the comfort, energy and sympathic ear it really helps.

12 comments:

  1. Sean,

    You have my thoughts and prayers with you. If you need to talk I am here for you.

    Hugs
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about you and your Mom, Sean, and sending wishes of peace for both of you. You have my love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What if's" just suck the strength out of us. I spent two years completely convinced that she WOULD recover and did everything possible to facilitate that end result. She didn't, but I never gave up hope; I couldn't.. I had to be the strong one.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you, dear man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sean:

    The ventilator, one of the greatest life-saving inventions ever, and also one of the most nightmarish. There would be no hope for recovery without it, though.

    Sean, I remember so well words my Dad spoke to me responding about just how emotionally challenging it was for me visiting my too many friends in hospital facing AIDS, he said, "it hurst so much because you care and love so much.... It is better to have that hurt than to miss out on the love."

    And those were the words in my mind, just a few months later, when I lost him to cancer.

    You are, Sean, in my thoughts -- your post has brought those sad moments alive today, along with the many more thoughts of the love. A few tears too as while I write this, happy tears, really. Thank you.

    Cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughts and prayers for your Mom, and you and yours. Keep being strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like all the others, you and your family have my prayers and positive thoughts.

    (Ouiser Boudreaux: "Yes, Annelle, I pray! Well, I do! There, I said it, I hope you're satisfied.")

    Please take care of yourself and don't fall prey to the "caregiver flu".

    I hope you have a calm, happy and uneventful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we got your back, baby! tomorrow night, after 6p, stand near a window and feel the good vibrations being sent your way from DE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    One thing I can pass along is that when it was time for my Mom to go, I wanted her to. After four months of watching her body deteriorate and then see her slip into a coma, I wanted an end to her suffering. When she passed on I didn't cry. My feeling was, "Thank God she's no longer in pain."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugsss.. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You seem so calm but underneath of it all... you and your family are in my prayers.

    {{{{SEAN}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sean,
    We did miss you in Lewes, but understood why you were not with us. We all had a moment of silence and prayer for you and your Mom during the Blogger Palooza. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts.

    David

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love feedback and opinions!

To include a clickable link back to your blog or to a point of interest:
Click on this link for directions:

HOW TO INCLUDE OR POST A LINK IN BLOGGER COMMENTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CROSSPOST